5 months in to our Home Rental Experience and We Are Super Hosts!
And here is how we did it…
I’ll break down each Airbnb requirement to reach Superhost and what we did to meet and exceed those requirements.
- Completed at least 10 trips OR successfully completed 3 reservations that total at least 100 nights
- Maintained a 50% review rate or higher
- Maintained a 90% response rate or higher
- Zero cancellations, with exceptions made for those that fall under our Extenuating Circumstances policy
- Maintain a 4.8 overall rating
- Complete 10 trips or 100 nights.
- Maintain a 50% review rate or higher – Review your guests within 24 hours of them checking out. The way the reviewing system works with both VRBO and Airbnb is that a review may be placed by either party within the first 14 days of check-out. The only way to view what either the host wrote about the guest, or what the guest wrote about the host, is for both parties to submit a review within the allotted 14 day time frame. Therefore, your guests cannot view what you wrote about them until they write a review about you! OH THE SUSPENSE! That feeling of curiosity often leaves guests eager to review you in return to then be able to see what you wrote about them. It’s a neat system and you should use it to your advantage. Always leave a review for your guests! And do it as soon after their check out as you can!
- Maintain a 90% response rate or higher – Respond as quickly as possible to your guests or potential guests. At times people will submit “inquiries” before they book and you want to be the first person to respond to them, in case they have sent inquiries to several people. It’s also important to respond to your guests quickly when they are staying in your home. You know how much you dislike sitting around waiting for a response…and you certainly wouldn’t appreciate waiting long periods of time to get a response while staying in a 5 star hotel…Keep that in mind, as you accommodate your guests.
- Zero Cancelations- I feel like that speaks for itself but you can read cancelation their cancelation policy here.
- Complete 10 trips or 100 nights. You want to get your home booked out as much as possible as quickly as possible. The way we got our home booked out quickly was we looked at how much homes in the area with a with the same number of rooms and similar accommodations were going for and then we priced ours for $30- $40 less per night. With that pricing strategy we opened our doors for hosting November 1stand got our first booking ON NOVEMBER 1st and most of the next 6 month filled within the first month of listings well. We have since upped our pricing to reflect trends in the area and to more closing compete with other similar homes in the area and now that we have reviews, bookings are still coming in despite the price increase.
- Maintain a 4.8 overall rating. Whenever making a decision or taking an action on behalf of our home rental I like to think to myself, “is this creating a 5-star experience?” If yes, I move forward with the decision. If not, I choose to respond to the situation in a way that does provide a 5-star experience because after all that is the rating we are striving to receive. From taking the trash out to the curb on trash day to dropping off Extra Extra bathroom hand towels, upon request, even though each bathroom already had a set of two! ?
5 stars across the board of an AirBNB include: Accuracy, Communication, Cleanliness, Location, Check-In & Value.
- Accuracy & Location – Is your place as described? You certainly want to let your potential guests know how great your home and the location of your home is but don’t overhype. It’s almost better to under promise and over deliver than to promise the world and they only get a country…ha! You know what I mean..because they are going to rate their experience accordingly.
- Communication– We discussed responding quickly to an inquiry or guest message. Something else I like to do is send out a “welcome packet” via email before check-in outlining how to check-in, wifi password, how to use the TV, letting them know we will have shampoo and conditioner available, etc. It also includes food and shopping recommendations in the area. I then place that same welcome packet in a binder on the kitchen counter for them to review and access easily when necessary. It’s also nice to reach out to your guests the days after check-in to be sure they have settled in well and to ask them if they need any additional blankets or pillows or anything else.
- Cleanliness- We have a team that comes to clean the home every time there is a check–out. We then go and view the property after the cleaning to be sure that it is clean to our standards. Our cleaning team is overall pretty phenomenal. They not only clean and strip the beds but they make cute designs with the toilet paper and tissues and fold the towels in a unique and pretty way. With that being said we have learned that despite how awesome they are the house still needs to be looked over to insure that everything is cleaned to our standards because after all the reviews on the cleanliness of the home will reflect and affect us directly not them.
SIDE NOTE: When we first started our Home Rental it didn’t dawn on us that it was Necessary to have more than one set of sheet for each bed!! ? So our very first check-out we had a same day check-in. Which is about a 4 hour turn around from check out until the next group checks in and we had to hustle sooooo hard to get all the sheets and towels washed and dried and then placed back on the beds. IT WAS MADNESS!!!
Needless to say, after that fiasco, that same day we ordered extra sheets and towels from Amazon and no longer do same day wash and replace because it’s really funny story and memory in retrospect but that day that we had to hustle to wash and dry and replace those sheets was chaotic and stressful!!
- Check-In – Check – In should be simple and easy. We like to use number pads on the door to not have to hassle with a key. Our guests seem to appreciate it as well.
- Value: Does your home rental VRBO or AirBNB reflect the price value that you have placed on it? Location, Home, Etc. Guests always appreciate a special touch like chocolates on the pillows or a welcome basket with goodies. Take good care of your guests and they will take care of you in the form of good reviews and in caring for your home.
Hope this was helpful! If you have any more questions you can ask them below or message me directly!